The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Harmful substances in the air
HOW DOES AIR POLLUTION OCCUR?
- 1. Naturally- Forest fires, soil erosions, dust storms, realeasing smoke into the air, and volcanoes
- 2. Human Activities- Farming, construction, burning fossil fuels, vehicles, factories/power plants
WHAT CAN THE BURNING OF FOSSIL FUELS CAUSE?
- Air pollution:
- Burning fossil fuels produces a variety of pollutants. Including carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur oxides. Also, dust particles and smoke, or soot.
The brown haze that develops in sunny cities. Photo means "light": formed by the action of sunlight on pollutants such as hydrocarbons & nitrogen oxides
Rain that contains more acid than normal
WHAT ARE 3 SUBSTANCES THE COMBINE TO FORM ACID RAIN?
- 1. Nitrogen Oxide
- 2. Sulfur Oxide
- 3. Water
WHAT HAVE THE FEDERAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS IN THE U.S.A. DONE TO REDUCE AIR POLLUTION?
- 1. Passed a number of laws
- 2. Passed a number of regulations
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF POLLEN GRAINS IN A CUBIC METER OF AIR?