The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the 3 general symptoms of esophageal disorders?
1. Bleeding- upper GI; lacerations, varices
2. Odynophagia - painful swallowing; from infections or inflammatory insults
- 3. Dysphagia- difficulty swallowing
- -disorder of motility- solids and liquids
- -obstruction, tumor, benign stricture (solids then liquids)
When anatomical disorders involve the esophagus?
What is esophagitis and the different etiologies?
It's an inflammatory disease
- Causes include:
- Gastro- esophageal reflux disease
Esophagus neoplasms and risk factors
- adenocarcinoma- malignant glandular epi
- risk- barretts esophagitis
- squamous cell carcinoma- malignant epi
- risks- alcohol and tobacco, diet, esophagitis, genetics