Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Step-by-step way in which scientists answer questions.
- 1. Ask a question.
- 2. Research the topic.
- 3. Form a hypothesis.
- 4. Test the Hypothesis.
- 5. Gather Data.
- 6. Analyze Results.
- 7. Draw Conclusions
- 8. Communicate Results.
An explanation that is based on prior scientific research or observations and that can be tested
An experiment that tests only one factor at a time by using a comparison of a control group and an experimental group.
The group that the scientist changes nothing in.
The group that the scientist has changed something. It is the variable in the experiment.
The factor that is different from one group to another
The factor that the scientist has changed in order to test the hypothesis
- What is tested
- What is manipulated
The result of what the scientist changed. What happened in the experiment.
- What is observed
- What is measured
- The data collected during the investigation
They are what the scientist kept the same in both the control group and the experimental group.
Any use of the senses to gather information
Anything that you see, smell, touch, taste, or hear.
Any observation that can be measured. Must include a number
- A representation of an object or system.
- Physical Model
- Mathematical Model
- Conceptual Model
- An explanation that ties together many hypotheses and observations.
- Supported by repeated trials.
- May help with further predictions.
- Tells why it happens.
- A summary of many experimental results and observations.
- Tells how things work
- Only tells what happens, it does not explain why.
- Conclusions or deductions based on observations.
- The process of drawing a conclusion from given evidence.
The higher the temperature of water, the faster an egg will boil. Which is dependent variable?
A. temperature of water
B. neither temperature or length
C. the length of time the egg will boil
C. length of time the egg will boil
This is the variable that is measured and observed.
(this multiple choice question has been scrambled)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview