The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Irregular heat causes the wind
4 types of equipment used to measure the wind
Weather vane: measures the direction
- Wind sock: measures speed and direction of the wind. Used by ships and planes.
- Anemometer: main instrument used to measure the speed of the wind.
- Beaufort scale: Admiral Francis Beaufort
- invented scale to measure the wind by looking at its effects on the environment.
3 characteristics of the wind
1. It is clean
2. It’s renewable
3. It’s not constant
5 advantages of wind energy
1. It’s clean
2. It’s renewable
3. It doesn’t produce toxic gasses.
4. It promotes a reduction of fossil fuels
5. It doesn’t impact on the environment
5 disadvantages of wind energy?
1. It dangerous for birds and bats
2. It isn’t constant
3. It’s noisy
4. It’s expensive $$$$$
5. They make a visual impact on the environment
What is luminous energy?
The energy of light humans percieve.
What are the two ways to measure light
What is radiometry?
· It is the light wave’s measurement and detection in the electromagnetic spectrum
· The human eye can only see a small portion of this
What is photometry?
· It measures the human perception of brightness.
What is the difference between photometry and radiometry?
· Radiometry is the entire electromagnetic spectrum
· Photometry is the the light humans can see.
2 phenomena which light can experience?
- 1. Reflection: light changes direction
- when it collides with a body, for example a mirror
- 2. Refraction: when light passes from one body to another refraction is produced, making objects look bigger or smaller,
- or other distortions.
What is the electromagnetic spectrum?
The electromagnetic spectrum is all the wavelengths of light you can measure with RADIOMETRY. we can see just a small amount of this.
What is sound energy?
- energy you can hear.
- it travels in vibrating waves.
the characteristics of sound:
1 - pitch :: (high or low)
2 - loudness :strength of the sound (loud or soft)
3 - timbre (type of sound - guitar vs violinfor example)
4 - frequency (the number of times a sound wave vibrates.)
4 - frequency