Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- a statement that two mathematical expressions are equal
- describes a relationship between two quantities
a set of numbers that can be substituted for the variables in an equation so that the equality is true
A solution is said to _______ an equation.
a formula, rule or procedure for taking a set of numbers and assigning to each number x in the set precisely one value
- x in f(x); can be picked to be more or less any number
- an arbitrary number in the domain of a function f
- plays the role of a "placeholder"
f is a function of x
y = f(x) ; these values depend on those of x
y = f(x)
defining y as a function of x
when an equation or function makes no sense at a particular point, it is said to be undefined at that point
the set of points where a function is defined
y; or the value of f at x
the set of all possible values of f(x) as x varies throughout the domain
- f(x) = mx + b
- m = slope
- b = y intercept
- f(x) = ax2 + bx + c
- standard form = f(x) = a (x - h)2 + k
- vertex = (h,k)
- a > 0 parabola opens upward; a < 0 opens downward
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview