Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- deviating from the right path or usual course of action; a mental disorder,
- especially of a minor or temporary nature.
- We were convinced that Ed’s poor test marks were an aberration,
- and that he would do better the next time
- tending to revert to a more primitive type. Living in the wilderness for a year, Riley
- showed an atavistic tendency to swing from hanging tendrals.
- to persuade by pleasant words or false
- promises. First he tried to cajole
- the witness into testifying; then he used threats.
- who lives solely for pleasure. “I’m
- interested in life and liberty, of course,” said the hedonist, “but I’m
- dedicated to the pursuit of happiness
- directing of one’s thoughts and interests inward. The introversion in Mary’s diary shows
- her inner thoughts and worries
- cannot be disproved.
- Technological advances have forces us to question theories that were
- once thought to be irrefutable.
- Our phone bill is high because we have two loquacious children
- away at college.
- near death.
- The priest was called when the seriously wounded soldier appeared to be moribund.
- a feeling that something will happen; a
- premonition. Because he had had a presentiment
- that disaster would strike, Aaron was not surprised when his new car was
- arrogant; pushy.
- It was presumptuous of David to assume he would be elected
- president just because he was good looking.
- to tear down completely; to destroy. The corporation voted to raze the
- decaying structure and replace it with a modern skyscraper.
- fragments of broken pieces of rock or masonry. After the bombing, the survivors picked
- through the rubble of their homes looking for belongings.
- useful or helpful, remedial. Long before
- modern medicine, the ancients knew of the salutary effects of certain
- herbs and minerals
- fair, attractive or true, but actually not so.
- The specious slogan, “When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will
- have guns,” deceives well meaning citizens
- plain, very clear in meaning. Mandy was unequivocal in refusing to
- join the snobbish club.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview