Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When interacting with an actor, you should maintain a reactionary gap of
6 - 8 Feet
Prior to going hands on with an actor for arrest or Terry Frisk, You should....
make sure to do a visual search before going hands on
How do we test for the possibility of aggressive behavior of an actor
A touch test should be performed (utilize the double push technique when applying handcuffs.
When two officers are interacting with one actor, the "Contact/Cover" method should be performed. What are the relative positions
- Contact officer should be in the #1 position
- Cover officer should be in the #3 position (in Pittsburgh, should be the 2 1/2
What is the proper level of force to gain compliance
any force that is necessary and reasonable
A prime reason to explain our reactions to an onlooker is to ...
develop officer safety and to assist in deescalating the situation
when conducting a Terry Stop, we should have the actor...
turn at least 1 1/2 times to search the Red Zone
When a male officer searches a female actor they should ...
- use the back of their hands to avoid unfounded liability.
- should also try to call a female officer if possible and notify dispatch
When performing a strip search the officer should ...
- allow the actor to remove their own clothes,
- DO NOT TOUCH, merely observe
- follow department policy
- conduct in the presence of the same sex officer
when performing an arrest via warrant, the officers should...
- plan ahead
- provide the actor with a signed copy of the warrant
- transport the actor
When dealing with an actor, we should pay special attention to ...
the red zone and the actor's hands
when performing a strip search, the actor's clothes....
should be folded neatly and their money placed in a pile
when conducting a search, how do we search
slowly and thoroughly
When should an actor be searched...
- prior to placing them in the vehicle
- Never transport an actor without searching them before they enter the transport vehilce
what are some reasons handcuffs fail
- double strand bends
- dirt, debris, or rust in the ratchet
- double lock mechanism breaks
- key failure
what is positional asphyxia
- a form of Sudden in Custody Death.
- It occurs when the actor is on their stomach on the ground while officers are pushing down on the actor in order to restrain them. The actor's first response is to push up and resist the compression
if the actor demonstrates any signs of a medical emergency...
get them medical attention asap
when and how are hobble restraints used
they are applied just above the elbows when fingerprinting and processing
when handcuffing the actor, we should
- handcuff behind the back
- have the backs of the hands together
- have their thumbs pointing up.
what is diaphragmatic compression...
- this occurs when the diaphragm is unable to contract.
- a form of sudden in custody death
what is the booking process...
the process of admitting a person into police custody
when a juvenile is in custody, we need to...
Monitor them constantly
Can a Juvenile be transported with an adult...
when we take a juvenile into custody, we need to...
notify the parents, guardians or other responsible adult ASAP
what is a Status Offense
- this is a juvenile offense that if committed by an adult would not be considered a criminal violation.
- it is associated with a dependent
- examples include truancy, runaways, and encourageability
when a juvenile is at the station, we must...
fill out the juvenile log when a juvenile is in custody
We must look for signs of..... when dealing with juvenile offenders
signs of cocaine and other drugs.
a juvenile can be charged and tried as an adult when they commit a crime under special circumstances
- more heinous crime of violence
- murder rape
- serial violent crimes
what is a juvenile detention center
an area of containment for a juvenile offender
when you want to stop and conduct a Terry Stop, we should have the actor...
face away with their arms out and palms down
when first approaching someone we should ...
- do a visual inventory
- visually search before going hands on
- look for bulges
- observe mannerisms
when making a public arrest our main concern should be...
when searching a female, we should...
- use the back of our hands
- always have a witness
- notify dispatch
- attempt to get a female officer on scene
when transporting an actor with two officers, we should...
- seat them behind the front passenger seat
- have the second officer sit directly behind the driver
why do we have a slight advantage when serving an arrest warrant...
- have knowledge of the charge
- valuable information prior to the apprehension
when preparing to arrest someone we should...
- observe their body language
- observe their feet,
- eyes and hands
when handcuffing an actor, we should ...
- search them
- double lock the cuffs
- belt the actor in
federal law attaches criminal liability to an officer when they....
deprive someone of their civil rights.
who is responsible for searching the actor prior to transport...
the transporting officer.
when can we make an on view arrest...
when we observe the criminal behavior
when a juvenile is in custody...
we need to monitor them constantly
what is the most common type of in custody suicide...
when searching someone, always remember this rule... and what does it mean
- The plus one rule
- if a weapon is found assume there is another. Search the actor again
Hobble restraints are used when...
transporting seating and they should be secured around the ankles
when encountering a person with a cocaine induced delirium...
medical attention is needed asap
Special attention prisoners must be monitored for ...
when transporting a 302 commitment, we need...
at least two officers
when approaching a complaint actor for handcuffing, we need to ...
keep our cuffing hand to the outside of the actor's body
when an actor in custody is injured, intoxicated, or showing signs of a medical emergency...
seek medical attention asap
when should flex cuffs be used...
- for nonviolent actors
- they should be applied behind their body with their thumbs up.
what is the single strand...
it is opposite the double band.
Use of force while in transport, the force decision is not based on ...
the nature of the crime
when dealing with a schizophrenic, we need to ...
- shut of police lights
- turn the radio mic down
- talk slowly and softly
- repeat information
when determining if a person is mentally ill, we should
judge their speech and actions in their context
when you approach an actor, what position should you approach
at the cover position (#3)
name 3 status offenses
how can a juvenile be certified as an adult
- special circumstances reviewed by the courts
- serious crimes, serial rape, murder
what method do we use to handcuff an actor
the double push method
what should you do if you release a juvenile into parental custody
document the release and to whom
how should you transport two prisoners in a single car
- double lock cuffs,
- seat belt in rear not hog tied
- not one in front, not back to back
use of force is a unique situation, what is the major factor...
- The nature of the crime is not a major factor.
- Possibility of escape,
- possibility of escalation of force
- potential use of force