- Suffer chronic, severe and often uncontrollable pain, involving subjective physical and psychological factors.
- Psychological factors have a significant role in the onset, severity, exacerbation, or maintenance of pain.
- Acute: Less than six months
- Chronic: More than six months
- Pain causes impairment in one or more of the person's basic ares of functioning - severe enough to warrant clinical intervention.
Pain disorder is a persistent, difficult, and expensive condition, often requiring extensive diagnostic procedures and lengthy, perhaps, continuous treatment.