The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the mission statement of the HFD?
To protect and promote quality of life and public safety.
What are the 3 districts and senior Officers in charge?
- West - Platoon 1
- East - District 2
- South - District 3
What process must you follow if you cannot make it in due to illness?
Call Capt. Brent Thomas (905) 546-2424 x 3355. If you can't get ahold of him leave a message and call Communications at (905) 546-2424 x 3389 and tell them your name, that you are a new recruit, whether you are on days or afternoons, and that you are booking off sick.
What are the different divisions of the HFD?
- Professional firefighters
What does the Occupational Health & Safety Act say about worker's duties?
- Duties of workers
- 28. (1) A worker shall,
- (a) work in compliance with the provisions of this Act and the regulations;
- (b) use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the worker's employer requires to be used or worn;
- (c) report to his or her employer or supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker; and
- (d) report to his or her employer or supervisor any contravention of this Act or the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.
- (2) No worker shall,
- (a) remove or make ineffective any protective device required by the regulations or by his or her employer, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately;
- (b) use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker; or
- (c) engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
What stations are in the West district?
Stations 1, 6, 10, 11, 23 and 24.
What stations are in the East district?
Stations 7, 8, 9 and 12.
What stations are in the South district?
Stations 2, 3, 4, 5, 17, 20 and 21.
Which apparatus are used for marine rescue?
Engines 3, 8, 9 and 11.
Which apparatus are used for HARR and confined space?
Engine 3, Pump 6, Pump 12, Rescue 12, Engine 17 and Pump 23.
How many structure fires did the HFD have in 2012 and what was the break down of occupancies?
- 228 total structure fires.
- 165 residential
- 13 institutional
- 9 garage/shed
- 9 industrial
- 11 business
- 21 other
How many calls did the HFD respond to in 2012 and what was the break-down of call types?
- 25 862 total calls
- 66% medical
- 7% alarm conditions
- 5% MVC's
- 3% false alarms
- 17% other (including fires)
What are the hours of work for the Academy?
Either 08:00 hours to 16:00 hours or 14:00 hours to 22:00 hours.
What is the minimum expected average for probationers in the Academy?
As a probationer, what will you be evaluated on?
- Ability to accept and follow orders
- Personal hygiene and grooming
- Co-operation with instructors and other probationers
- Assistance to instructors and other probationers
- Safe working habits
- General overall observations
- Creating a positive work environment
- Notebook - neatness and organization
- Practical performance on the emergency scene
- Mechanical/physical ability
- Work ethic and initiative
- Concern for others
What are some City of Hamilton Policies which affect the HFD?
- City of Hamilton Bylaw 68-34
- Attendance support and management plan
- Employee assistance program policy
- Policy against harassment/discrimination
- Policy against personal harassment
- Sexual harassment policy
- Conflict of interest policy
- Computer acceptable use policy
- Driver's licence policy
What percentage of fires in 2010 were caused by cooking and careless smoking?
What were the top 5 causes of fires in 2010?
- 1) Cooking/kitchen
- 2) Careless smoking
- 3) Arson/suspicious
- 4) Electrical fires
- 5) Careless use of a torch
How many fire stations are there in the City of Hamilton?
How are the 3 districts divided up geographically?
- West - Below escarpment west of Gage Avenue
- East - Below escarpment east of Gage Avenue
- South - Mountain/above the escarpment
What are the different specialty teams of the HFD?
- Confined space
- Marine (shore based water rescue)
What apparatus run out of station 1?
- Rescue 1
- Pump 1
- Ladder 1
- Platoon 1
What apparatus run out of station 2?
- Pump 2
- District 3
- Car 73 (Safety Officer)
What apparatus run out of station 3?
Engine 3 (marine, HARR, confined space)
What apparatus run out of station 4?
- Rescue 4
- Ladder 4
- Support 4
- HAZMAT 2
What apparatus run out of station 5?
What apparatus run out of station 6?
- Pump 6 (HARR, confined space)
- Supply 1
What apparatus run out of station 7?
What apparatus run out of station 8?
- Engine 8 (marine)
- District 2
What apparatus run out of station 9?
- Engine 9 (marine)
- Ladder 9
What apparatus run out of station 10?
What apparatus run out of station 11?
Engine 11 (marine)
What apparatus run out of station 12?
- Rescue 12 (HARR, confined space)
- Pump 12 (HARR, confined space)
What apparatus run out of station 17?
Engine 17 (HARR, confined space)
What apparatus run out of station 20?
What apparatus run out of station 21?
What apparatus run out of station 23?
Pump 23 (HARR, confined space)
What apparatus run out of station 24?
Which stations are composite stations?
Stations 17, 21 and 24.
What information can be found on the label of a Scott cylinder?
- Date of manufacture
- Serial number
- Cylinder number
- Last test date
The SCBA primary reducer steps down the cylinder pressure from what to what?
31 000 kPa to 700 kPa.
Explain the procedure to follow when opening the Scott NXGII cylinder during the daily check.
The cylinder valve should be turned on slowly pausing slightly to allow for the PASS alarm to activate.
What are the safety features built into the Scott NXGII cylinder?
- Rupture disk
- Ratchet operating knob
What is the brand/model of SCBA used by the HFD?
Scott NXG 2
What are the major components of smoke?
- Smoke vapours
- Smoke particles
- Toxic gases (carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, phosgene)
What are the toxic gases found in smoke?
- Carbon monoxide
- Hydrogen cyanide
When is an environment considered oxygen deficient?
When oxygen content is below 19.5%
What is the normal oxygen percentage in atmospheric air?
How does fire produce an oxygen deficient atmosphere?
- Fire consumes available oxygen
- Fire produces gases which can displace oxygen
What are some symptoms of an individual in an oxygen deficient atmosphere?
- Inability to control muscles
- Irrational thinking
What is the difference between closed and open circuit SCBA?
- Closed circuit - Air stays within system and is run through a mechanism which removes carbon dioxide and adds oxygen
- Open circuit - Air is exhaled into the atmosphere
What are the NFPA standards related to SCBA?
- NFPA 1500 - Basic requirements
- NFPA 1404 - Requirements for SCBA training
- NFPA 1981 - Requirements for design, performance, testing and certification of open-circuit SCBA
What are the parts of the SCBA?
- Backpack and frame assembly
- Regulator assembly
- Harness assembly
- Face piece assembly
How often are cylinders hydrostatically tested?
Every 5 years
What are the parts of the breathing regulator?
- Air saver switch
- Thumb latch
- Heads up display
- Exhalation valve
- Purge valve
What are the indicator light functions of the heads up display?
- 1) Red light (right side) - Low battery
- 2) Red - 1/4 full (far left side) - flashes 10x per second
- 3) Amber/yellow - 1/2 full - flashes 1x per second
- 4) One green - 3/4 full
- 5) Two green - full
When does the vibralert activate?
Approximately 25% cylinder pressure
What are the PASS alarm operations and the function of the lights?
- PASS alarm activates after 20 seconds of inactivity, lights turn red and flash alternately, partial alarm which can be deactivated by moving the backpack frame.
- After 30 seconds of inactivity, red lights flash simultaneously and full alarm sounds, yellow button on PASS device control console must be pushed twice to deactivate alarm.
- At any time, red button on PASS device control console can be pushed to sound full alarm.
What are the checks performed on SCBA prior to donning?
- Check air cylinder is at least 90%
- Donning/doffing switch is activated
- Open cylinder and check alarms
- Verify gauges are working properly
- Harness straps are fully extended
- All valves are in the correct position
When is SCBA inspected?
- Start of each shift
- After use
- After repair
What are the components of a cascade system?
- Air compressor
- Storage tanks
- Filling station
What is open regulator failure?
- Regulator is stuck in the open position
- Open purge valve and use the cylinder valve to control air flow
- Notify Officer
- Leave area with partner
What is closed regulator failure?
- User is unable to get air from the regulator (stuck in the closed position)
- Open the purge valve to breathable
- Notify Officer
- Leave with partner
What are the parts of a firefighters personal protective equipment?
- Protective hood
- Bunker pants and coat
- Firefighting gloves
- Firefighting boots
- Protective eyewear
- SCBA with PASS alarm
- Hearing protection (if necessary)
What protection is provided by your PPE?
- Furnishes padding against injury
- Protects from cuts and abrasions
- Repels water
- Protects from impacts
- Provides thermal protection
- Provides respiratory protection
Which NFPA standard governs firefighting PPE?
Which helmet colours does the HFD use for which ranks?
- Black - firefighters
- Red - Captains
- White - Chiefs
- Blue - support staff (PIO, area commanders, etc.)
When is the hood donned?
After the facepiece and before connecting the regulator
What are the layers of your bunker pants/coat?
- Protective outer shell
- Moisture barrier
- Thermal barrier
Bunker pants/coat protect you from what?
- Elevated temperatures
- Cuts and abrasions
- Hot water/steam
What are the two approved primary eye protection used by HFD?
- Approved safety glasses
- SCBA face piece
What provides secondary eye protection?
When is hearing protection mandatory?
- When using HURST power tool supply or within a 25' radius
- When responding to an alarm in any vehicle with open jump seats
- When in a cascade room during cylinder emptying/refilling
When should eye protection be worn?
- Auto extrication
- Typical shop maintenance
- Fire overhaul
- When pressurized cylinders are involved
- Where blood or other bodily fluids may be projected towards the eyes
- During specialized operations (marine rescue, HARR, etc.)
- During prolonged or acute exposure to sunlight
- Where chemical hazards are encountered
What are the major components on the diagram given of an SCBA?
- Face piece
- Regulator & Vibralert
- Battery compartment
- Cylinder valve and gauge
- PASS device control console
- Cylinder latch & strap
- Back frame and harness assembly
- Sensor & Module lights
- High pressure regulator