The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the biopsychosocial model?
Biopsychosocial Model: an approach to describing and explaining how biological, psychological and social factors combine and interact to influence physical and mental health.
What is stress? Define the two types
- Stress: a state of physiological and/or psychological arousal in response to internal and external actors
- Eustress: stress that is positive in nature
- Distress: stress that is negative in nature
Describe Lazarus and Folkman's transactional model of stress and coping
- Emphasised the importance of the mental processes involved in dealing with a stressful situation
- The individual’s perception and assessment of the stress
- Focused on the relationship between the individual and their environment in assessing whether the stressor is threatening, challenging or potentially dangerous
What is Primary appraisal and describe the 3 types of evaluations:
- Primary appraisal: the recognition of a potentially stressful situation in which the person assesses the situation as stressful,
- neutral or irrelevant. If stressful, evaluate the significance
- Harm/loss: how much damage has already occurred
- Threat: harm/loss that may not have occurred yet but could occur in the future
- Challenge: involves an assessment of the potential for personal gain or growth from the
What is secondary appraisal?
- The stage where the person considers what options and resources are available to them and how they will respond
- Evaluate internal/external stress coping resources
- Internal options: will power, inner strength
- External options: peers, professional help
- Reappraisal may also occur where the individual goes through the primary appraisal once again
What is emotional forecasting?