The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Cause pain or annoyance by functioning badly
- i.e.Dad's poor knee is acting up again.
- Recommend not doing something
- i.e.The doctor advised him against carrying heavy loads.
- Show from a particular point of view.
- i.e.The documentary was angled at young
- Try to obtain something by hinting
- i.e.I suspect Tom's angling for a free ticket.
- Move backwards, in fear or
- Withdraw; concede defeat.
- i.e.Local authorities backed down on their plans
- to demolish the cinema.
- Base your hopes on something/someone.
- i.e.Don't forget the date. I'm banking on your
- Improve or make more substantial
- i.e.He beefed up his presentation with
- diagrams and statistics.
boil down to
Be summarized as
1) Stop, discontinue
2) Stop speaking
clamp down on
Act strictly to prevent something.
come up against
- Be faced with or opposed by.
- i.e.The project came up against a lot of
1) Make something longer than necessary.
- 2) Make someone reveal or give information
Write (contract, agreement, document).
- Be louder in order to cover another sound.
- i.e.She turned up the music to drown out
- the noise of the children outside.
1) Eliminate differences of opinion.
- 2) Become level or regular
- After a long discussion they managed to even out their differences.
- 2) The road was evened out to make it safer.
- Gradually end
- i.e.Over the years their friendship fizzled out.
- i.e.My parents always frowned on smoking.
Pay excessive attention to