The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Any chemical that affects living processes
The study of drugs and their interactions with living systems
The study of drugs in humans
The use of drugs to diagnose, prevent, or treat disease or to prevent pregnancy
study of how genes affect individual drug responses
a group of s/sx and/or characteristic effects associated with exposure to a particular substance or class of substances
What are 4 factors influencing drug response?
- Individual variations
What are 3 routes of administration?
What are 4 aspects of pharmacokinetics?
- Absorption - get in
- Distribution - get around
- Metabolism - get to work
- Excretion - get out
Receptor families - there are 4
- Cell membrane
- Ligand-gated Ion Channels
- G-Protein coupled receptor
Factors affecting drug absorption
- Rate of dissolution - how fast the drug dissolves
- Surface area - larger surface area means faster absorption
- Blood flow - more flow is better
- Lipid solubility - high lipid solubility is absorbed faster
- pH partitioning - absorption will be enhanced when the difference between the pH of plasma and the pH at the site of administration is such that drug molecules will have a greater tendency to be ionized in the plasma