Nursing 101 Exam 2
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What are some examples of ethnocentric behavior by the health care professional?
- Direct Eye Contact (Harsh Stare)
- Ask Direct Questions (leading Questions)
- Say things like "He is a minority", "You people are so..."
- Label People (they are lazy)
What is health belief?
- concepts about health that an individual believes are true
- different cultures or religions have their own health beliefs
What are 3 health beliefs
What is the Magico-Religious health belief?
- the belief that illness/disease is a form of punishment.
- health and illness are controlled by supernatural forces
What is the health belief Western, biomedical, or scientific?
- Illness is caused by germs, viruses, bacteria based on the belief that life is controlled by physical and biochemical processes
what is the health belief Naturalistic/Holistic
forces of nature must be maintained in balance. human life in an aspect of nature that must be in harmony with the rest of nature. if balance is disrupted then illness occurs
What is folk medicine?
Beliefs and practices relating to illness prevention and healing that derive from cultural traditions rather than from modern medicine's scientific bases.
Why is folk medicine commonly used?
- it is passed down through families and communities.
- people believe that it works and the mind is very powerful
- the cost is cheaper
- it is usually done at home so the client is more comfortable
What are the guidelines when communicating with someone that speaks a different language?
- Avoid slang words, med term, & abbrev
- augment spoken convo with gestures or pictures
- speak slowly, normal tone
- frequently check to see if client understands
Guidelines when using an interpreter.
- avoid asking family member
- choose interpreter same gender/age
- social and political compatibility is important
- address questions to client to interpreter
- speak slowly and distinctly
- observe facial expressions
What are some ways to convey cultural sensitivity?
- Spend time with the client
- learn their values and beliefs
- Address by their last names
- Introduce yourself by full name
- Be honest about your knowledge of their culture
- Speak slowly and distinctive
- obtain their trust
What is Heritage Consistency?
Clients that identify with their traditional cultural heritage. they still practice the beliefs they were raised with
- the observance of the beliefs and practices of one's acculturated belief system.
- They do not follow traditional culture beliefs, they changed to where they live
How would you assess for heritage inconsistency?
- use the 4 C's
- What is Concerning or worrying you?
- What do you think Caused the problem?
- How do you Cope with your condition?
- What are your Concerns?
What are nutritional Patterns?
- foods that are available
- the way the food is prepared
what culturally focused and responsive nursing care?
- integrates the clients values, beliefs into plan of care
- develop self awareness
- nurse must respond to clients needs
- gain knowledge and create environment of trust
the fear of people that are different than you
- Think our way is the best
- expect others to acquire our values
- unconscious think everyone is like me
what are 2 health related practices for Asian
- Coining and Cupping are traditional medical practices
- Fevers may be treated by wrapping in warm blankets and having them drink warm liquids
Name 2 Cultural Health related Practices used by African Americans.
- Menstruation may be viewed as the body's way of clearing dirty excess blood. Too little flow may be viewed as "bad Blood" staying in the body too much viewed as weakening the body.
- Have rich traditional herbal remedies. Health care providers should be sure and discuss
- the use of home or herbal remedies to avoid potential drug interactions.
Name 2 cultural health related practices used by Hispanic
- Certain foods upset hot-cold body balance.(provide ice water upon request only)
- Postpartum Rest is valued.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview