Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Size of a 1 person lane
Size of a multi person lane
Space between tables
Size of patron lane
4' (48" same as multi person lane)
Width of workers
4 1/2' (Patron lane 4')
2 1/2' (~1/2 a patron)
Employee dining space in sq ft/person
Width of main traffic lane
Hospital floor area
20-30 sq ft/bed
Optimum counter height for HEAVY work
Optimum counter height for LIGHT work
- 37-41" (3-3.5')
- Note: Heavy work = 36"
Min space between floor and heavy duty epmt
Space in between eqmt and wall
What is the best work area layout shape for time and motion?
What are the benefits and disadvantages of L shape work area layout shape?
- B: Convenience of work surface
- D: Limited space
Which is the most efficient work area layout?
Parallel and back to back parallel
Gas specifications for eqmt selection
BTU British thermal unit
- National Sanitation Foundation International
- Voluntary inspection of eqmt
Voluntary inspection of electrical
Most common gauge for eqmt
- 10-14 (the lower the gauge the better)
- 16 is for thinly lined eqmt
- Higher number higher polish (1-7 is high)
- #4 is grind for table tops
Modular eqmt selection
- Components are customizable
- <Floor space
- Improved use of space and labor power
- <Labor hours
Temp of WASH cycle in 3 compartment sink
Temp of RINSE cycle in 3 compartment sink
Time of the SANITIZE compartment of a 3 compartment sink
- Heat: 170F for 30sec
- Chemical: 75F (warm) for 1min
How to dry pots and pans after 3 compartment sink cycle
What are the stages of 3 compartment sink cycle
What are the stages of mechanical wash cycle?
- Air dry
Temp for pre-rinse/pre-wash for mechanical wash cycle
Temp for WASH in Mechanical dishwashing
140-160F (otherwise greasy dishes)
Temp of RINSE for mechanical dishwashing
How to prevent water spots in mechanical dishwashing
Add a drying agent
How long to air dry in mechanical dishwashing
Advantage of Low energy chemical dishwasher
- Saves energy (no booster heater)
- Water temp 140F (chemicals NOT HEAT sanitizes)
- Note: everything else is BAD -->
- >need for detergent, rinse aid, H20
- Long dry time
- Long wash and rinse time
- >Labor cost
What are the 4 styles of mechanical dishwashers and how many meals/hr can the handle?
- Conter-style @ <50
- Door-style (single tank) @ 50-250
- Single or 2x tank conveyor @250-1500
- Flitt-type conveyor 1500+
What is hard water and how to deal with it?
- High proportion of Minerals and Salt --> Scum
- More detergent
What determines the amount of eqmt needed?
Menu (size and frequency of food)
What determines SPACE required in layout and design?
Market form (Foods purchased)
What is the best material and ht of that material for walls?
- Glazed Tiles
- 5'8" tall (washable and resists moisture)
Ht of ceilings and color scheme
- 14-18' high
- Lighter color than the walls
4 types of flooring and uses
- Concrete: light traffic, storerooms receiving areas
- Terrazzo: Noisy dining room
- Clay tiles: Kitchen and heavy traffic
- Asphalt: Light traffic dining room
Ventilation temp and circulation
68F w/ fan for odors and moisture
2 types of Lighting
- 35-70 foot candles: food prep and display
- 70-150 food candles: Work areas and reading recipes
Classes of fire (A,B,C)
- A: Wood, paper, cloth (Triangle)
- can use FOAM, WATER, MP
- B: Liquids, gases, greases (Square)
- can use everything EXCEPT WATER
- C: Electrical (Circle)
- can us CO2, DRY CHEMICALS, MP
Who regulates chemical cleaning supplies? What are the top 3 for countertops?
- 1. Chlorine
- 2. Iodine
- 3. Quaternary ammonia
- Quality Control: potential dangers for corrective action
- High hazard FOOD and JOBS
- Determines Critical Control Points (CCP)
- 1. Comissary - 9
- 2. Ready-Prepared - 8
- 3. Conventional - 5
- 4. Assembly serve - 4
The amount of STORAGE needed is determined by___?
- Frequency of deliveries
- MARKET FORM of food purchased
Temperature of DRY STORAGE
Cartons and bags should be how far from the floor and walls?
Humidity of the DRY STORAGE
Humidity for fruits and veggies?
HIGH @ 85-90%
Temp to store fresh fruits and veggies
Temp to store eggs? How long?
- 3-5 weeks
- Separated yolks and whites 2-4 days
Time to store poultry, ground beef, fish, shellfish
Time to store thick meat (steak, chop, roast)
Hollow square, free-flow, scramble cafeteria system
- Hot food, salad are separated
- > # of people
- "repeat" customers e.g. students or employees
- If SCRAMBLE system is too slow add FOOD STATIONS
What are the 3 types of cafeteria?
- Traditional: 3-4 meals/min
- Scramble/hollow-square/ free-flow
- Food bank/electronic