Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the methods to look into the brain?
- Lesioning studies
- Brain Stimulation
- Mapping Structure
- Mapping Function
What are the different methods of brain stimulation?
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- Repetitive Trancranial magn. stim. (rTMS)
What are the different methods for Mapping the Brain structure?
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
What are the different methods for mapping the brain function?
- EEG: Electroencephalogram
- PET: Positron Emission tomography
- SPECT: Single photon emission computed tomography
- fMRI: functional mRI
The EEG maps the ____
electrical activity of the brain
The PET maps the ______
the SPECT maps the _______
- blood flow of the brain -> body
- records brain activity
The fMRI maps the _____
oxygen level in the blood
What does the medulla do?
responsible for the life sustaining functions
what are the pons responsible for?
- sleep, dreaming, arousual
- coordinating left & right side of body
Reticular Formation is responsible for?
- general attention
The cerebellum is responsible for?
controls & coordinates involuntary, rapid, fine motor movement
the cortex is divided into 2 sections called ____
The Corpus Callosum does what?
Connect the cerebral hemispheres
What is the Cortex and what is it responsible for?
- It's the wrinkled covering of the brain
- purpose: higher though process & interpretation of sensory input
The Hind Brain is made up of?
- Reticular formation
What are the 4 lobes of the cerebral cortex?
Name the Major Neurotransmitters & their functions
- Serotonin: mood, sleep & appetite
- Dopamin: movement & sensation of pleasure
- Acetyl-choline: Arousal,attention, memory and conctrol
- Endorphins: Pain relief
- Nor-epinephrine: Arousal & mood
- Gaba: sleep & inhibits movement
- Glutamote: Learning, memory formation, nervous system development and synaptic plasticity
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview