John Philip Susa 1854-1932
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1867 - 13 yrs old
- An apprentice with Marine Band
- Studied harmony, composition and violin after hours
- Father was a marine band trombone player
1872-1874 - 18-20 yrs. old
- (18) First Composition - waltz for piano
- (20) Played violin as a professional
- Conductor of Theater Orchestra
- Discharged from Band and heard of Gilmore's Band
- Worked as 1st violinist in orchestra
- Became Marine Band Director due to his fame and his Father
- Began touring with US Marine Band
- Wrote 136 marches
- "Stars and Stripes Forever"
- "Washington Post"
- "Wanderer the Thunderer"
- "Ever Faithful"
- "El Captain March"
- Quit Marine Director Position
- Gilmore died, Sousa began his own band
Trained Navy Band Masters
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview