Earth In Context: Creation
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define: All matter and energy
Define: anything you could touch or take up space
Define: mass, weight, density
- 1. amount of matter
- 2. Mass*Gravity
- 3. Mass/Volume
Define: the ability to do work
Define: vibrate, spin, move from place to place => provided by heat, gravity, light, magnetism
When did the Big Bang supposedly happened?
This happened 13.7 billion years ago.
What is the Big Bang Theory?(2)
- -All matter and energy bounded in one part then EXPLODED!
- -Formation of all hydrogen atoms withing a few seconds
What happened 3 minutes after the Big Bang?(3)
- How long after the Big Bang did this happen?
- -Temperature decreased to less than a billion degrees
- -diameter became 53 million kilometer
- -Hydrogen atoms fused to form helium
What happened 5 minutes after the Big Bang?
- How long after the Big bang did this happened?
- - Cooling caused patch clouds called nebulae to form ( H+ He)
What is stellar necleosynthesis?(3)
- What is the process of stars making atoms?
- -92 naturally occuring elements
- -stars fused the nuclei (extremely hot!)
- -fusions creates iron and lighter elements
What is super nova?
What is the death of a star in a violent explosion causing fusion of neculi creating heavier elements than iron(27->100+)
What is the Nebula Theory?(2)
- Name this theory.
- -the creation of solar system
- -all materials that didn't become a star became planetesimals
What are planetesimals?
- -anything with a diameter of 1 km
- -can exert a gravitational force
What are protoplanet?
- -planets that are roughly spherical
- -created from debris pulled into orbit
- -orbits a star (helocentric) i.e. earth revolving around a star
What are the inner and outer planets?
- Inner Planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars
- Outer/ Giant Planets: Jupiter, Saturn Uranus, Neptune
Describe the inner planets.(4)
- -rocky/ terrestrial
- -dense iron alloy core
- -shell of a rock
What are the gas giants and ice giants/
- Gas Giants: Jupiter and Saturn
- Ice Giants: Uranus and Neptune
What are asteroids?
Define: chunks of rocks and metal
What are comets?
Define: ice with long tails
When did the chemical layer of the earth formed?
What formed 4.57 Ga years ago?
What is the physical layer of the earth?(3)
- -planetsimal=> homogeneous
- -heat=> from collission
- - earth formed as matter was squeezed into it's small volume
What sticks to the middle of the Earth?
earth's core=> Fe-alloy
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview