Earth in Context cont.
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is Paleomagnetism?
- -orientation of magnetic field at the time a rock formed
- -the scientific data that confirms plate tectonics
What creates the earth magnetic field?
- -the rotation f liquid iron(Fe) core (outer core)
- -similar to bar magnet
What is the geographic poles?
poles about which the earth rotates
What is the magnetic pole?
- -where a compass needle points
- -moves constantly within 1500km of north pole
What is magnetic declination?
What does it affect?
What is the present declination?
- -the angle between geologic and magnetic north
- -it affects the compass north
- -presently 11 degrees away from true(geologic) north
What is magnetic inclination?
Where is the inclination at 0 degrees?
Where is the inclination at 90 degrees?
- -the angle between magnetic field line and Earth's surface
- -0 degrees at the equator
- -90 degrees at the pole
What is the mineral that magnetize rocks at it's formation?
What are the 2 types of rocks magnetize at it formation?
- - magnetite
- -volcanic rock (basalt) and sedimentary rock
What is (1)magnetic declination and (2)magnetic inclination?
- 1.) the angle between campus north and true north
- 2.) the angle between field line and earth surface
What is the polar-wander path?
the path continents moved through time
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview