The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Granulocyte maturation series
Myeloblast > Promyelocyte > Myelocyte > Metamyelocyte > Band Cell > Segmented Cell
In what stage do the granules in the eosinophil and basophil start to differ in the maturation series.
Erythrocyte maturation series
Rubriblast > Prorubricyte > Rubricyte > Metarubricyte > Polychromatophil > RBC
When there is a suspected left shift present, what value in the neutrophils is examined?
Total count (not %)
Characteristics of an immature cell
- Nucleolus more visible
- Clear area visible (golgi)
- Larger size
- Blue-light blue cytoplasm
Regenerative left shift
# of immature cells equal to or less than # of mature cells
Degenerative left shift
# of immature cells exceeds # of mature cells
Why do we not see a left shift in a stress leukogram?
There are adequate numbers of neutrophils in storage pools to account for the stressor. So the bone marrow does not have to release immature cells
Decrease in the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood
Describe the apperance of a metamyelocyte
kidney bean shaped nucleus.
Causes of anemia
- Blood parasites (babesia, anaplasma)
- Kidney disease
- Cancers, tumors
- Estogen suppresses bone marrow, induced ovulators get severe anemia if not induced to lower estrogen levels
What lab test would be performed to determine if anemia is regenerative or not?
- mean corpuscular volume
- size of individual RBC (average)
- mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration
- average conc of hemoglobin in RBC
- mean corpuscular hemoglobin
- weight of hemoglobin in average RBC
- determines if hemoglobin is made properly
- RBC Distribution Width
- range of width of RBCs
What can Heinz Bodies be an indicator of?
denaturization of hemoglobin
Horses do not release immature RBC's
What are the two forms of reticulocytes in the cat?
- Aggregate (darker, only ones counted)
- Punctae (clusters starting to disappear due to maturation)
What do spherocytes look like?
- no central pallor
- densely staining hemoglobin
- Associated with IMHA