The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the indications for IO?
- Paediatric unconscious
- Cardiac Arrest
- Respiratory Arrest
- Status Epilepticus
- Profound Shock
- Major Burns
- Overwhelming Sepsis
- Small newborns with life threatening breathing problems.
Complications & hazards
- Infection - Phlebitis / Sepsis / Necrosis
- Embolis - DVT / PE / MI / CVA
- Infiltration - Extravastation of administered drug impeding blood flow or nerve damage.
- Needle stick injury
- Possible fracture of tiba due to force involved in procedure.
- Compartment syndrome caused by extravastation of infusion.
- Epiphiseal growth plate damge if IO inserted too close to proximal end of tiba.
- Infection - Osteomyelitis
- # To bone or bone proximal site
- Traumatised extremity
- Cellulitis at insertion site
- Burns that may be injected by technique
- Congenital bone diesease
- Previous attempt on same leg
- Concious patient