The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- last ditch effort to achieve ventillation for an obstructed airway above the larynx which cannot be cleared via the mouth of by ventillating the obstruction down into the bronchial tree.
- Maxillo-facial trauma - deformed anatomy.
- Upper Airway FBAO
- Laryngeal Spasm
In the emergency situation when all other options have failed, there are no contra-indications
Complications & Hazards
- Hypercapnia because of insufficent CO2 ventillation + hypoxia.
- Subcutaneous Emphysema - Creation of a false passage into the surrounding tissue.
- Haematomoa & Bleeding from the site of insertion.
- Aspiration from blood & secretions
- Oesophyarngeal perforation
- Time constraints - 45 Minutes max until surgical airway required.