The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- to examine by questioning formally or officially.(cops sometimes include beating to get false confessions because in criminal law a confession is the most damning and potent evidence a prosecutor can present during
- potent-having a great power influence or effectinvestigators are deliberately trying to elicit incriminating evidence that will be used to prosecute the suspect.
- invent or concoct (something) typically with deceitful intent.concoct- to devise using skill and intelligence.
- (cops fabricate evidence to secure a confession.)
- relating to or using force or threats.
- evoke or draw out from someone in reaction to ones own actions or questions.
- (perpetrate) perform an act usually with negative connotation. to be responsible for; commit.
- require law enforcement officers to inform suspects of their right to remain silent(fifth amendment) and access to legal counsel(sixth amendment)
- the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threat.
slippery - slope argument-
- allowing or even encouraging behaviors that are generally condemned by society or prohibited in other areas of police work.
- gather pertinent information regarding a crime.
- (interviews usually happen early in an investigation when police have little or no evidence linking a suspect to a crime, and the location is often spontaneously chosen or solely determined by convenience)(pertinent- relevant or applicable to a particular matter)