The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- tags ""
- description ""
- fileName "Physics 1 Translational motion"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- Physics problems strategy
- P.lug and chug
Scalar vs vector
- Scalar: physical quantity with magnitude, no direction
- Vector: physical quantity with magnitude and direction
Rules for adding vectors, subtracting vectors
- Adding: tail of second to heads of first, then connect tail to head.
- Subtracting: put both heads together and connect tails or add negative of vector being subtracted
What are the rules for scalar, vector interaction
- 1: Scalars cannot be added or subtracted from vectors
- 2: Vectors can be multiplied or divided by scalars. only the magnitude,not direction changes
Rules for multiplying/dividing vectors
1: first check to see if product is scalar or vector; if a vector the direction is perpendicular to original two vectors times sine of the angle between them (Vp= V1V2sine(theta)) use right hand rule to determine which direction; if a scalar, product equals product of two vectors times cos of the angle between them
Def component vector
Component vector: two vectors placed perpendicularly to one another,whose sums equal the resultant vector.
Linear motion equations and requirments
- Vavg= (Vf+Vi)/2
- Peak height of a projectile Vi(sin(theta))=sqrt(2gh)
What information is inside of a d/t graph and a v/t graph
- D/t: displacement vs time. Slope is velocity, area under is not useful
- V/t: velocity vs time. Slope is acceleration and area under is displacement
Hat factors effect air reaistance
- Surface area
- Mass - does not change force of air resistance, but the effect of air resistance on an object. The force of air resistance is constant on an object. So F=ma and F is constant, as m increases, a must decrease, so a heavier object accelerates slower than a smaller one.