The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- tags ""
- description ""
- fileName "Physics 4 Momentum, Machines, and Radioactive decay"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- Define momentum and give equation
- (p) measure of an objects tendency to continue along its path. Proportional to velocity and mass
Two things to remember about momentum
- 1: conserved in an isolated system
- 2: it is a vector
How to solve elastic collision vs inelastic collision problems
- Elastic: use conservation of energy
- Inelastic: (in an isolated system) use p(initial)=p(final)
Define impulse and give equation
- Impulse (J): IAS equal to change in momentum
Equation for the average force on colliding bodies
Equation to find average force from change in momentum
Define a machine
Machine: mechanical device which reduces force to do work. Work does not change
Define radioactive decay
Radioactive decay: spontaneous breaking apart of atoms
(Z-2) and (a-4)
- Creation of an electron and proton from a neutron. Election is expelled
- (Z+1) and (a+0) and (-e-1)
- Expulsion of a positron when a proton becomes a neutron
- (Z-1) (a+0) (+e-1)
- Capture electron and merge it with a proton to form a neutron
- (Z-1) (-e+1) (a-0)
Define fusion and fission
- Fusion: cumbining two nuclei to form a heavier nucleus
- Fission: splitting a nucleus to form two lighter nuclei