Physics 5 fluids and solids.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- fileName "Physics 5 fluids and solids"
- tags ""
- description ""
- Define density
Define specific gravity
What is the density of water
Define pressure and units
Give equation for the pressure of a fluid at rest with uniform density in a sealed contatiner
- Y=depth of fluid
What is P of the atmosphere in standard units
Describe pascals principal
Pressure applied anywhere to an enclosed incompressible fluid will be distributed undiminished throughout that fluid
What kind of machine utilizes pascals principal
Describe archimede's principle
The bouyant force is an upward force acting on a submerged object, and is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the submerged object.
What is the bouyant force equation
- In other words, the bouyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that was displaced. Archimedes principle
What are the two types of motion in fluids with motion and what is their role
- 1: random translational motion: contributes to fluid pressure at rest (motion of molecules)
- 2: uniform translational motion: shared equally by all molecules at a given location. (Motion of flow)
Define the characteristics that make up an ideal fluid
- 1: no viscosity
- 2: incompressible
- 3: lacks turbulence
Describe and Define the continuity equation
- Rate of flow of a fluid
- An is cross sectional area
- V is velocity
- Q is volume flow rate
Whats is the equation for mass flow rate
Multiply volume flow rate (Q) by density
Describe and define Bernoulli's equation
- K is a fluid specific constant
Define stress and strain
- Strain= Dimension/original dimension
Describe and define modulus of elasticity
- A proportionality between stress and strain which can be thought of like Hess's law
- Stress/strain or how much stress can a systems strain handle before breaking
Describe and define the three types of modulus
- 1: Young's modulus (E)= tensile strength
- 2: Shear modulus (G)= shear stress
- 3: bulk modulus (B)= compression and expansion
Give the equation for the velocity of a fluid in motion
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview