The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the 3 methods of fire attack?
- 1. Direct
- 2. Indirect
- 3. Combination
What are the 4 methods of water application?
- 1. Solid Stream
- 2. Fog Stream
- 3. Straight Stream
- 4. Broken Streams
What 4 things must all fire streams have?
- 1. Pressurized Device (Pump)
- 2. Hose
- 3. Agent (Water)
- 4. Nozzle
What are the forces that effect a fire stream?
Fire Stream Definition
a fire stream is a steam of water or other extinguishing agent as it leaves a fire hose nozzle until reaching the desired target.
What are the two commonly used handlines used by HFD capable of flowing?
- 38mm - 360 L/min
- 65mm - 750 L/min
How does water extinguish fire?
- Excluding Oxygen
What is the expansion capability of water to steam?
- 1700 times its original volume at 100 degrees celsius
By what methods can fire be extinguished?
- 1. Remove the fuel
- 2. Remove the oxygen
- 3. Remove the heat
- 4. Break the chemical chain reaction
What are the characteristics that make water valuable for fire extinguishment?
- Readily available and relatively inexpensive
- Has greater heat absorbing capacity than most other common agents
- Water can be converted to steam to aid in extinguishment
- Water can be applied in a variety of ways
Define Friction Loss
Friction Loss is the reduction in pressure caused by the waters contact with the side of the hose. This contact requires additional force to overcome the drag created by the hose wall.
Factors that increase friction loss are,
- Rough linings in fire hose
- Damaged hose couplings
- Kinks/sharp bends in hose
- More adapters then necessary
- Hose lines longer then necessary
- Hose diameter too small for the volume needed
Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion
What is the expansion ratio of propane?
270 to 1