Geog 3: Lecture 9
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is religion?
- -system of belief
- tells us how to be behave
- -ex. Confucianism is strictly ethics
how the universe works
Major religions and foundations
- 1. Christianity (Meso)
- 2. Islam (Meso)
- 3. Hinduism (India)
- 4. Buddhism (India)
- 5. Chinese religion (China)
Major religion splits
- 1. Christianity
- -Western: Roman Catholic and Protestant
- -Eastern: Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox
- 3. Buddhism
- -Mahayana – Lamaism
- 4. HinduismValshavism
- - Vishno:Vishnu
- -creation of a new religion based on part of a old religion
- -Ex. Christianity is syncretized from Judaism and paganism
Christianity from a Jewish religion to converting people into pagans.
Roman Emperor who decided to convert to Christianity
Islam is syncretized from
- 1. Christianity
- 2. Judaism
- 3. Paganism
Orthodox rabbi who's followers named him the messiah
Universal Religion vs National Religion
- 1. Universal Religion:
- -go on missions to other countries to try and convert people to their religion.
- -Not bound to one nation.
- -Ex. Mormonism, Islam, Christianity
- 2. National Religion:
- - group of people who identify themselves with this religion
- -Ex. Judaism
Language is a ______that gives things the opportunity to spread
- 1. Confucius
- – Confucianism
- -6c-5c BC
- 2. Lao Zi
- – 6c-5c BC
- 3. Siddhartha Gautama
- -6c-5c BC
- 4. Jesus of Nazareth
- -BC – 29 AD
- -No record of him at the time from other people
- -Bible written 150 years after his death
- 5. Muhammad
- -570-632 CE
- -More reliable because more recent and recorded with technology.
- -By the time he died he was already control of all of Arabia.
- -Everybody knew of Islam and Mohammad while he was alive.
- -belief of a specific group of people
- -Jews: Tribal identification along with the place-Judea
- -Hebrews: ethnolinguistic group
- -In this religion Jews are the specific chosen peopleThe original followers of Christianity were Jews
First historical religion of the persians
Paganism influences on Judaism and Christianity
- -Immaculate Conception
- -Virgin Birth
- -Collection of relics: Bones
birth of mary
Roman empire lingua franca
- 1. West
- 2. East
- -bishops of rome; pope
- -Had more consolidated power and much more believers
- -Constantinople was the most important empire
Roman empire movement of capital
Movement of the capital from Rome (West) to Constantinople (East) Byzantine.
Birthplace of Christianity
-located in Ethiopia
modern day Constantinople
- 1. Ukrainian
- 2. Maronites
- 3. India/Keralam
Western Christianity plot
- 1. Catholics
- 2. Protestants
- -Martin Luther
- -Mostly slavs
- -Russians, Ukranians, Serbs, Greeks
The most important city of Islam
- -important trading center of the Hijaz
- -and important region and pilgrimage center
- -where Muhammad came from
- -large structure in the center of Mecca.
- -Big black cube with a meteorite located in the middle of the cube.
- -Worshipping a piece that has come from the sky
- -completes his Hegira, or "flight," from Mecca to Medina to escape persecution
Original place Muslims prayed towards
- -3rd most holy site after Mecca and Medina
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview