Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What are the contents of a highrise pack?
- 2 38 mm hose 15 m lengths
- 1 38 mm fog nozzle
- 1 65 to 38 mm reducer
- 1 collapsible hose key
- 1 pipe wrench
- Rubber latch straps
- Sprinkler plugs
What are the contents of a hydrant kit?
- 1 gate valve 65 mm
- 1 adjustable hydrant key
- 1 65 mm combination key
- 1 115 to 100 steamer port adapter
- 1 65 mm female to 100 mm storz adapter
- 1 65 mm double female adapter
Fire Hose is
The term "fire hose" identifies a flexible tube used by firefighters to carry water under pressure from the source of supply to a point where it is discharged.
Types of hose used by HFD
- 1. Double-cotton Jacket Rubber lined
- (38 mm hose, 65 mm hose)
- 2. Synthetic Double Jacket Rubber lined
- (Woven polyester jackets, 38 mm, 65 mm)
- 3. Nitral/PVC Rubber
- (one piece construction eliminated delaminating, reinforced with synthetic nylon, 65 mm, 100 mm, 125 mm)
- 4. Rubber Covered
- (Spiral wire helix & nylon reinforced, hard suction hose, 150 mm hose)
What is the NFPA standard for Fire Hose?
What is the NFPA standard for Fire Hose connections?
What is the NFPA standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus?
What are the four ways fire hose can be damaged?
- 1. Mechanical
- Slices, rips, abrasions on coverings, Crushed/damaged couplings, cracked inner linings
- 2. Hot and Cold
- Excessive heat/direct flame contact can char, melt, weaken outer jacket and dehydrate rubber lining, inner linings can be dehydrated when hose hangs to dry too long
- 3. Mildew
- Rubber-Jacket hose not subject to damage caused by living organism, but this is a problem on hose with a woven jacket of natural fiber if stored wet. Mildew, mold rot fibers of hose jacket, causing hose to rupture under pressure
- 4. Chemical
- Chemicals, chemical vapors can damage outer jacket on hose or cause rubber lining to separate from inner jacket. When hose exposed to petroleum products, paints, acids, alkalis, may be weakened.
How is hose testing and hose care done?
- Hose testing is done annually, or after repair to 1700 kpa
- Hose change on apparatus is done monthly on corresponding day with apparatus
What is a higbee cut?
- One rocker lug on each half of coupling has a small indentation higbee indicator to mark where higbee cut begins
- Truncating threads are cut in a "v" shape at 60 degree angle
- prevents binding and cross threading
- helps to clear grit from threads
How do we break hose?
- All HFD couplings are to be "key" tightened
- Rule - "over to make, Under to break"