bi110 exam 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define the biologically relevant interactions (bonds) between molecules-
- o Ionic bonds- a atom donates or receives an electron and the charged ions attract each other through electrostatic attraction o Pure covalent bonds- two atoms share a pair of electron evenly
- o Polar covalent bonds- two atoms share a pair of electrons unevenly where the more electronegative atom gets them more, partial positives and partial negatives are formed.
- o Hydrogen bonds- A weak electrostatic bond which arises from the attraction between the slight positive charge on a hydrogen atom and a slight negative charge on a nearby oxygen or nitrogen atom.
List functional groups commonly found in biological molecules
· methyl, hydroxyl, amino, carboxyl, aldehyde, phosphate, sulfhydryl, phenyl
List from memory the electronegativity of carbon,nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen.
· O(3.4) N(3.0) C(2.6) H(2.2)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview