The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- to increase or enlarge. Jessie wanted to augment his allowance
- by finding a part-time job.
- unfeeling; insensitive. It was a surprise tosee the tears flowing
- from someone we had considered to be callous.
- secret; having a secret meaning. The F.B.I. agents asked a university expert
- to try to decode the cryptic ransom demand.
- cross, unruly, uncontrollable. Factious elements in the Democratic
- party resulted in a heated debate at the convention.
- thrifty, cheap.
- The frugal gourmet tries to produce economical, yet tasty meals.
- a doctor who specializes in treating children. By high school, most adolescents switch from
- a pediatrician to a physicians who treats adults.
- a system of bound servitude. Spanish landowners required workers to remain
- working on their farms until all their debts were paid.
- sluggish, unemotional. Normally phlegmatic, the llama can
- become violent if it feels threatened.
- very heavy; bulky; labored and dull or
- tiresome. The knight’s ponderous
- suit of armor restricted his movement.
- sharp, acrid sensation. The pungent odor of the market place
- confirmed the tourist’s impression that she was in an exotic setting.
- unruffled; tranquil, unclouded. The serene morning sky gave no hind of
- the downpour that would later saturate our cabana.
- concise or terse; brief. After extensive revision, the 500 page
- manuscript was reduced to a succinct 250 page novel.
- a combining of elements into a whole. Each different component of the symphony was
- blended into a synthesis of sound.
- to declare or make legally sound; to substantiate;
- to verify. The summit produced a treaty
- which the Senate must now validate.
- ] conforming to the truth; accuracy. The veracity of the witness was
- confirmed by other eyewitnesses.