Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What are the primary functions of a ladder?
- Performing rescues when normal means of egress are rendered unusable by reasons of fire
- Gain access to upper or lower portions of a structure or to permit firefighters to climb to upper or lower portions of a structure
- Gain vantage point for firefighting
- Secondary means of egress
What are the two materials used to construct ladders?
- Heat treated aluminum alloy (ground ladders)
- Steel alloy (aerial platform ladders)
What are the two types of ladder beams?
Solid and trussed
When are ground ladders inspected?
Visually inspected monthly or after each use
What are you looking for when visually inspecting a ladder?
- Splintering, cracking, deformities, breaks, gouges, fraying or other conditions
- Ensure components fit snugly and operate smoothly
- Heat sensor label
What are the different sizes of ladders used for the various heights you are attempting to reach?
- One storey roof - 7 m
- Second storey window - 7 m
- Two storey roof - 10 m
- Third storey window - 15 m
- Three storey roof - 15 m
How far should a ladder extend past the roof?
4 to 5 rungs
Where should the ladder be placed for window ventilation?
Upwind, off to the side of the window, 2 rungs above the top of the window
For a window rescue where should the ladder be positioned?
In the center of the window with the tip of the ladder level with the sill of the window.
At what angle should a ladder be placed to climb?
When setting up a ladder which side of the ladder faces the building?
The bed ladder, flies always face away from buildings
What some safety rules to keep in mind when working with/on ladders?
- Wear appropriate PPE
- Choose the proper ladder for the job
- Choose the proper number of people
- Lift with your legs
- Use proper hand and foot placement
- Look overhead for wires or obstructions
- Check the ladder for the proper angle
- Ensure that the wall or roof will support the ladder before climbing it
- When lowering fly's use hand over hand on the halyard, do not let rope slide through hands
What are the basic components of a ground ladder?
Beams, rail, truss block, rung, tie rod, tip, butt, roof hooks, heat sensor labels, and protection plates
What are the basic components of an extension ladder?
Bed section, fly section, guides, halyard, pawls, pulley, stops, and tormentors
How are roof ladders carried?
Hooks in, tip facing direction of travel, tip of the ladder lower than the butt
If no Officer is available, who calls the commands during ladder evolutions?
Person on the right side of the butt
What are two methods of securing yourself to a ladder?
Sala belt and leg lock