The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
To save their lives, the sailors had to abandon the sinking ship.
- To live.
- To give up.
- Abandonment (n)
Excessive rainfall early in the spring can adversely affect the planting of crops.
- In a harmful way.
- Adversely is often followed by affect.
- Adversity (n)
- Adverse (adj)
It is impossible to judge last year’s performance without knowing the aggregate sales numbers.
- Gathered into or amounting to a whole.
- Aggregate is often followed by a term like sum, total, ornumbers.
- aggregate (v)
- aggregate (n)
With the development of land cultivation, hunters and gathererswere able to settle in one place.
- Preparing the land to grow crops; improvement foragricultural purposes.
- cultivate (v)
This farm fertilizes tomatoes more than any other crop.
- To supply with nourishment for plants by adding helpfulsubstances to the soil.
- fertilizer (n)
- fertilization (n)
Jacob’s long absence intensified his certainty that he should marryRose.
- To increase in power; to act with increased strength.
- intensification (n)
- intense (adj)
In dry areas of the country, you can see ditches all over the farmland for irrigation.
- The supplying of water to dry land.
- irrigate v
After a series of difficult interviews, he finally was able to obtain the job.
To gain possession of; to get
Oxygen is a by-product of the process of photosynthesis.
- The process by which green plants make theirown food by combining water, salts, and carbon dioxide in the presence of light.
- photosynthesize (v)
In the Pacific Northwest, the high level of precipitation ensures rich,green plant life.
Water that falls to the Earth’s surface.