The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Urinary System Functions 
- 1. Regulate blood volume & pressure
- 2. Regulate plasma concentrations of ions
- 3. Stabilize blood pH
- 4. Conserve valuable nutrients
Removes organic waste products
Components of Urinary System 
- 1. Kidney
- 2. Ureter
- 3. Urinary Bladder
- 4. Urethra
Position of kidney maintained by... 
- 1. Peritoneum
- 2. Adjacent organs
- 3. Supporting connective tissues
Kidney is covered by...
Ureter exits, renal artery & nerve enter, renal vein exits
Internal cavity within kidney
Kidney is divided into an _________ _________ __________, and an _______ ________ ________.
- Outer renal cortex
- Inner renal medulla
Medulla contains 6 to 18 _______ ________ _______.
Conical renal pyramids
The tip of each pyramid called ______ ______ poject into the ______ ______.
Bands of cortical tissue called ______ ______ extend towards the ______ _______ between adjacent ______ ______.
- Renal columns
- Renal sinus
- Renal pyramids
Urine production begins in the ______ ______ in micorscopic tubular structures called ______.
Renal Corpuscle consists of... 
- Bowman's Capsule
To enter the capsular space a solute must be small enough to pass through... 
- 1. Pores of endothelial cells
- 2. Fibers of the basement membrane
- 3. Filtration slits between podocytes
Filtration membrane is formed by... 
- 1. Fenestrated capillary
- 2. Basement membrane
- 3. Filtration slits
- Prevents passage of blood cells & plasma proteins.
- Permits movement of water, metoblic wastes, ions, glucose, fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins.
Solute concentration of interstial fluid ______ while tubular fluid ______.
Water moves out of tubular fluid by ______ which ______ the volume of tubular fluid.
Secretes erythropoietin & renin
Collecting system consists of ______ ______ and _______ ______.
- Collecting duct
- Papillary duct
Receives tubular fluid from nephrons
Delivers urine to a minor calyx
Purpose of urine
Maintain homeostasis by regulating volue and composition of blood
Urine Production involves 3 metoblic waste products...
- 1. Urea
- 2. Creatinine
- 3. Uric Acid
Kidney Functions 
- 1. Filtration: BP forces water across renal corpuscle
- 2. Reabsorption: Removal of water & solute molecules from filtration & entry into peritubular capillaries
- 3. Secretion: Transport of solutes out of peritubular capillaries across tubular epithelium, into filtrate