Bontragers ch 1 - intro
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How many individual body systems compose the total body?
- 1 skeletal
- 2 circulatory
- 3 digestive
- 4 respiratory
- 5 urinary
- 6 reproductive
- 7 nervous
- 8 muscular
- 9 endocrine
- 10 integumentary
How many bones does the skeletal system include?
Determine the four functions of the skeletal system.
- Support and protect the soft tissue of the body
- Allow movement
- Produce blood cells
- Store calcium
The study of bones.
The study of joints.
How many bones make up the axial skeleton?
- Consisting of the skull, vertebral column, ribs, and sternum.
How many bones make up the appendicular skeleton?
- Consisting of the upper and lower limbs (extremities), the shoulder, and the pelvic girdles.
- A special type of small, oval-shaped bone that is embedded in certain tendons.
- Most often near joints.
- Largest sesamoid bones are the two patellae.
The four classifications of bones.
- Long bones
- Short bones
- Flat bones
- Irregular bones
Found only in the appendicular skeleton.
- Found only in the wrists and ankles.
- The 8 carpal bones and 7 tarsal bones.
- Calvaria (skull cap)
- facial bones
- bones of the base of the cranium
- bones of the pelvis
How many carpals are there?
How many tarsals are there?
What is the narrow space between the outer and inner table of the cranium called?
Where are red blood cells produced?
Inside the shell of compact bone in the spongy or cancellous bone
What is the term used for the process by which bones form in the body.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview