The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the definition of holism?
- an entity is more than a sum of its parts
A holistic health care system needs to consider what needs?
- 1. Physical
- 2. Emotional
- 3. Social
- 4. Economic
- 5. Spiritual
- 6. response to illness
- 7. Impact of the illness on the person's ability to meet self care needs
What is the WHOs definition of health?
state of complete physical, mental and social well being, not mearly the absence of disease or infirmity
What is the significance of a health definition?
a person's state of health directly influences their daily life choices, lifestyle
many different definitions
What is a disease?
- alteration in body function which results in a person's
- 1. reduced capability to function
- 2. shortens a normal life span
What are the goals of healthy people 2020?
- promote healthy behaviors
- promote healthy and safe communities
- improve systems for public health
- prevent/reduce diseases and disorders
What is a health belief?
the way they feel about health and illness, based on factual or non factual information, common sense, myths, reality or false expectations
* a person's health beliefs effect their behavior
What are the factors influencing health beliefs?
- Internal variable:
- developmental stage
- intellectual background
- perception of functioning
- emotional factors
- spiritual factors
- external variables:
- family practice
- socioeconomic factors
- cultural background
What are some risk factors for illness?
- Non controllable:
What is the goal of the holistic health model?
to promote optimal health in all areas
What are some holistic nursing interventions?
- deep breathing techniques
- progressive muscle relaxation
- guided imagery
- music therapy
- reminiscence therapy--geriatric population
What is an illness behavior?
- how people:
- 1. cope with illness
- 2. monitor their health
- 3. interpret their symptoms
- 4. care for themselves
- 5. use the health care system
What are the stages of illness behavior?
- 1. Experiencing symptoms
- 2. assuming the sick role
- 3. assuming the dependent role
- 4. achieving recovery and rehabilitation
What are the four factors determining a stressful situation?
- 1. ability to cope with stress
- 2. impact of the environment in assisting the client to adapt to stressor
- 3. practices and norms of client's peer group
- 4. resources that can be used to deal with stressor