The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What us the outer layer of the skin?
What is the epithelium of the epidermis?
What is the cell type of the epidermis?
What are the two products of keratinocytes & their functions?
- 1) keratin: resist abrasion
- 2) glycolipid: waterproof the skin
Where is think skin found?
everywhere except for palms, finger pads, and soles of feet
Where is thick skin found?
palms, fingerpads, & soles of feet
What are the layers of thin skin?
- 1. Stratum corneum
- 2. Stratum granulosum
- 3. Stratum spinosum
- 4. Stratum basale
What are the layers for thick skin?
- Stratum corneum
- Stratum lucidum
- Stratum granulosum
- Stratum spinosum
- Stratum basale
We renew are skin from start to finish every ___ days.
What is the function of melanin?
absorbs ultraviolet radiation that can damage DNA of mitosing keratinocytes
What are the 3 types of skin cancer?
- basal cell carinonma: tumor of keratinocytes
- squamous cell carinonma: tumor of keratinocytes
- melanoma: tumor of melanocytes
What is the Merkel cell?
sensory receptor that triggers merkel tactile disc in dermal papillae for light touch
Describe Langerhans cells
macrophages: engulf bacteria & kill with lysosomal enzymes
Where do we find the merkel cell?
where do we find langerhans cell?
What is the middle layer of the skin?
What are the 2 regions of the dermis?
- Papillary: 15%
- Reticular: 85%
What is the Meissner corpuscle?
sensory receptor wrapped around sensory nerve
Where is the Meissner corpuscle found?
in dermal papillae
What us the pacinian corpuscle?
sensory nerve for deep pressure
Where is the pacinian corpuscle found?
in reticular region of the dermis
What are the functions of the dermal papillae?
- creates dermal ridges= finger prints
- bare nerve endings for hot/cold and pain
- merkel= tactile disc sensory nerve for merkel cell found in dermal papillae
What are the cell products doing in the Stratum basale?
What happens in the stratum spinosum?
making keratin & gylcolipids
What happens to the keratinocytes in the stratum granulosum?
keratinocytes dying due to lack of 02/nutrients
What happens to the keratinocytes in the stratum corneum?
keratinocytes are dead
Where are the skin appendages found?
reticular part of the dermis
What are the skin appendages?
- sweat glands
- hair follicles
- sebaceous gland
What is the latin word for hair?
When does the hair die?
when it leaves the bulb
Hair matrix if contained of what?
keratinocytes & melanocytes
What is the function of hair papilla?
- pushes up to hair matrix
- blood capillaries bring o2 /nutrients
Descrive vellus hair
- not much oil needed
describe terminal hair
- needs lots of sebum
sebacecous gland is what type of exocrine gland?
holocrine: cells fill with oil then burst
what is the hormone at puberty?
3 functions of the hormone androgen
- triggers terminal hair production
- triggers increase in sebum production
- triggers the stratum corneum to thicken
ares with hairless follicles are?
if there is a back up of sebum in pore it is called?
a white head
if oil reaches surface & oxygen oxidizes it is called?
if bacteria enters to thrive in sebum & then WBCs enter to kill with lysosmals; which irratates pus is called?
what are the 2 types of sweat glans?
- small, empty on skin surface
- almost everywhere
- huge, empty into nearby hair follicle
- show up at puberty
- found in axillary & anogenital regions
4 functions of eccrine
- evaporating cooling: exothermic reaction that releases heat
- creating acid mantle: due to vitamin c & lactic acide
- excretes heavy metals: lead & mercury
- excretes urea: kidney waste products
3 functions of apocrine
- secrete pheromones: hormones that attract opposite sex
- secrete fatty acids & proteins
- bacteria use as diet & produce waste= armpit odor
what is the 3rd layer of skin?
2 main parts of hypodermis
- large blood vessels
what are the functions of skin?
- body temperature
- cutaneous sensation
- metabolic function
- blood reservoir
- waste/ toxin excretion
what are the chemical barriers?
- skin secretions
- natural antibiotic
what are the physical barriers?
what are the biological barriers?