Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are (3) Types of Unconsciousness
- 1. Syncope
- 2. Orthostatic Hypotension
- 3. Acute Adrenal Insufficiency
Absence or lack of oxygen
- Deep Sleep.
- State of unconsciousness from which you cannot be aroused.
- Capable of responding appropriately to questions or commands
- Protective reflexes are intact
- Ability to maintain a patent airway.
Sudden, transient loss of consciousness
Low Oxygen Content
Factors that Cause Syncope:
- -reduction or interruption in cerebral blood flow
- -->usually resultingfrom an abrupt loss of cardiac output
- Sudden, transient loss of consciousness w/out symptoms followed by resumption of consciousness w/in seconds to minutes
- -used interchangeably with the term faint.
Lack of response to sensory stimulation
(3) Predisposing Factors for Unconsciousness:
- 1. Stress
- 2. Impaired physical status (ASA III or IV)
- 3. Administration or ingestion of drugs:
- -Analgesics (CNS depressant); Antianxiety agents (CNS depressant); Antibiotics, Local Anesthetics (most common dental drug).
List the (4) General Causes of Unconsciousness
- 1. Inadequate cerebral circulation & oxygen deprivation.
- 2. Metabolic Changes
- 3. Actions of the CNS
- 4. Psychic Mechanisms
(5) Steps in Management of Unconscious Patient
- P-Position Victim (SUPINE)
- A-assess and open AirwayB-Breathing - assess & ventilate if necessary
D- Definitive management
- Vasovagal Syncope
- Common (simple, benign) faint
- Neurogenic, psychogenic syncope
- Most Common emergency
- -53% of all emergencies
What are (5) Psychogenic Predisposing Factors?:
- •receiving unwelcome news,
- •sudden pain
What are (7) Non-Psychogenic Predisposing Factors:
- –Erect posture,
- –poor physical condition,
- –hot humid environment,
List (3) Types & Etiologies of Syncope
- •Cardiac Syncope
- •Noncardiac Syncope
–Inadequate cardiac output
- --Electrical problems (arrhythmias) or
- --mechanical problems (obstructive) cause this
- -orthostatic hypotension,
- -situational occurrences,
- -metabolic disease
–Pain, fear, exhaustion, acute illness