List the traditional language development milestones.
- -A baby's first sounds are reflexive
- -Even deaf children make sounds for the first 8-10 months
- –Differentiated and undifferentiated sounds of babbling
- -Cooing (0-1 month) – Vowel like sounds– g/k
- Reduplicated babbling – 6-7 months–
- Repeated CV syllables (mamama, dadada)
- Varigated babbling – 9 months– Mabada– Imitation of intonation and sounds
- Protowords– Prior to 12 months– Some form of verbal response, not a word necessarily. Ex: consistent productions the child uses in response to various situations (ah for dog)
Object permanence (12 months)– Realization that objects exist when not in sight.
In terms of pragmatics:
Perlocutionary behaviors (0-6 mo)– Signals used that lack communicative effect. Crying but not necessarily related to current activity
Illocutionary behavior (9-10 mo)– Intentional communication (pointing to a desired object)– Signal to carry out socially organized action
Locutonary stage (12 mo)– Intentionally uses true words
Joint reference (about 12 mo)– Focus joint attention on an object or event– Both look at object at same time