Micro 151 - EXAM 1-
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Study of microorganisms
An organism too small to be seen by the naked eye individually
What are the 3 Domains of life?
Any disease caused by a microorganism
- Live within host/
- Travel to another part of body and cause disease
Normal Flora: Function?
- Good bacteria/ in us
- Live with in us
- cause no harm
- protects from other bacteria
- Digest (help) food
- Form Vitamins (provided in intestine)
Dis - Ease
not in homeostasis
Differences between Prokaryotic / Eukaryotic?
- P. - Have no nucleus
- Organisms that lack amembrane bound nucleus
- E. - have a nucles
- Other structures
Where are microscopes found?
- In agriculture
- Anywhere where H2O is present?
What is a Strain?
A different group of spicies
Scientific Name: Rules
- 1. Genus/ Species
- 2. Italicezed
- 3. Genus Capitalized
- 4. Species lower case
- 5. Genus can be shorten to initials
- 6. May include Strain designation
Antoni Van Leeuwenhoek Who? / What he did?
- Known for improvement on the microscope
- Was the first to witness single celled organisms
How are bacteria helpful to us?
- 1. Provide antibiotics (poison)
- 2. Breakdown Complex molecules into simpler ones
- 3. Agriculture
- 4. Produce chemicals used for many thins such as acetone, etc
- Suspect M/O found in diseased person but not in animal
- isolate/culture microorganism
- Inoculate healthy animal with isolated m/o same disease should result
- Reisolate m/o from Infected animal
- Life appearing out of thin air
- Vital force
- Producing living cells out of non-living material
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview