AQA Psychology A A2 Level - Schizophrenia - Clinical Symptoms
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Outline Clinical Characteristics of Schizophrenia (Hallucinations).
- Hallucinations are symptoms.
- The most Common being the ability to hear voices (Auditory Hallucinations).
- The Schizophrenic hears voices that comments on all of their actions and that of others.
- The voice is as real to them as the voices of others.
- When they appear to be talking to themselves, they could be having a conversation with the voice in their head.
Outline Clinical Characteristics of Schizophrenia (Delusions).
- Delusions are when they lose control of their thoughts.
- Thought Control is a collection of beliefs and consists of:
- Thought insertion. Where the person believes that thoughts are being put into their head.
- Thought withdrawal. Where they believe that thoughts are being taken from their mind.
- Thought broadcast. This is when thoughts are being made known to everyone around them.
- They believe external factors such as aliens, spies, or magic in certain cultures, are the cause.
Outline Clinical Characteristics of Schizophrenia (Other Delusions).
- Other Delusions consist of delusion of beliefs.
- They may for example believe they have super powers or are the messiah.
- They also have persecutory beliefs. "Everyone is after me".
- The persecutory beliefs get stronger the more people tell them what they believe is not true. - "Of course they'd say that".
Outline Clinical Characteristics of Schizophrenia (Negative Symptoms).
- Negative symptoms are something removed from someone's behaviour.
- This includes:
- Flat effect, the person speaks in a monotone manner.
- Abnormal emotional responses. The person is unable to give an appropriate emotional responses e.g. not expressing joy during times of happiness.
Outline Clinical Characteristics of Schizophrenia (Catatonic Behaviour).
This is when they have the same repetitive, pointless movements. They may for example be crouched, holding their head, all the while rocking back and forth.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview