Minerals: What is a mineral?
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How many minerals is a rock made of?
- 2+ minerals
What are the 6 qualities of a mineral?
- 1. they are naturally occuring
- 2.Formed by a geologic process ex. molten lava
- 3. is a solid
- 4. crystalline substance
- 5. has a specific chemical composition
- 6. is non-living but animals can make minerals
Name some geologic process that minerals would go through.
- -sollidification of a molton rock
- --precipitation out of a solution
- --grown by a biologic material (ex. microbe
Which state is a mineral?
Which structure is crystalline
How does mineral begin growing?
Minerals start as microscopic crystals, and grow by adding new atoms to the outer surfaces.
Where does minerals grow from?
- -water solutions
- -in a solid rock
What is metamorphism?
Different minerals grow at different _________ and ______, so we can decipher the _______ under which a rock formed by identifying its minerals.
Different minerals grow at different [temperatures] and [pressures], so we can decipher the [conditions] under which a rock formed by identifying its minerals.
How can minerals be destroyed?
Minerals can be destroyed by melting, heat breaks the bond hold atoms.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview