The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Ultimate reality concieved of as an all embracing, single principle.
- -Some Thinkers have identified this principle with God;
- -others have believed in the absolute but not in God;
- -others have not believed in either
- -Associated with Georg Hegel
A branch of philosophy concerned with the principles of art and the notion of beauty.
- -the doing self, as distinct from the knowing self;
- -the self that decides or chooses or acts
the search for a deeper understanding of something by taking it to pieces and looking at each part.
The opposite is synthesis.
- a view of philosophy that sees its aim as clarification-
- the clarification of concepts, statements, methods, arguments, and theories by carefully taking them apart
the attribution of human characteristics to something that is not human;
something that can be considered valid only by means of experience
something known to be valid in advance of ( or without need of) experience
- Reasoning from the general to the particular
- -eg "If all men are mortal then socrates, being a man, must be mortal"
It is universally agreed that deduction is valid.
The opposite is induction.
The view that nothing can happen other than what does happen, because every event is the necessary outcome of causes preceding it- which themselves were the necessary outcome of causes preceding them.
The opposite is indeterminism.