AP GOV 5.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
3 ways a abill becomes a law
- President signs it,
- house and senate 2/3 override vote
- , if nothing is done for 10 days and congress is in secssion
3 different kinds of committees
Joint conference and standing
Formal way or halting action on bill with long speeches and unlimited debate in Senate
Mechanism requiring 60 senators to cut off debate
Person who holds office
Redrawing district lines in a weird way to get 1 party an advantage
Redrawing district lines based on census
Making sure all districts have the same amount of people in it
Benefit your district with public works programs military bases or other programs
3 influence on Congress decision making
- and party
2 jobs for Vice President
- Brakes tie vote,
- and take over office if President dies
Review and monitoring of federal agencies activities and programs
3 powers given to the house
- I'll text bills go through it
- , pick the president in Fawlty the election
- , and I ring charges against offitial
3 powers given to senate
- 2 thirds vote to kick official out of office,
- approve treaties
- and approve presidential appointments
What is a select committee?
- Temporary in nature
- for special investigation
What is a standing committee?
What is a rules committee?
Legislative committee responsible for expediting passage of a bill
What is a joint committee?
Committee with both houses
What is a conference committee?
- Special joint
- Reconcile 2 versions of a bill
What is annual authorization legislation?
Bill that grants money that doesn't become availbe unless apporiated
- Vote trading
- Done to obtain passage of actions to interest each member
- Usually decisions are made when both bills can be passed and brings benefits to their home dostrict
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview