AP GOV 7.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- tags "Judicial branch (evil spawn)"
- description ""
- fileName "AP GOV 7"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- How many justices? Term?
- 9 and life
Picked by prez
4 justices and where on spectrum
Clarence Thomas- pres HW Bush- 1 on cons/ antonin scalia- prez reagan- 2 on cons/ samual alito jr- prez W bush- 3 on cons/ john g roberts- W Bush- 4 on cons
Rule of 4
At least 4 justices of the SC must vote to see a case
Power of courts to review all acts of ther branches and states
When prez picks someone for sc and goes to senators to ask about info on the person
Why is the sentorial courtesy critiziezed
Gives sentors too much say on who gets to be picked
- Friend of the court
- Third party to lawsuit who files a brief for the purpose of raising additional points in an attempt to influence a court's decision
Checks it has on exc
Declare executive acts unconstitutional
Checks on leg
Rule laws unconstitutional
How does a case get to SC
Gets appealed from the lower courts
Why is appealing so hard
Takes a ton of time
Authority vested in a particular court to hear and decide the issues in any case
What can't they do
Can't overrule amendments
Texas v johnson
Burning the flag was legal as long as it's done safely
Us term limits v thornton
Reps/ senators can run as much as they want
Gideon v waignwright
Gave indigents right to councel
Brown v board of education
School segregation was unconst
Looking at past cases with similar topics to see how the decision was made
- Mandate requiring a prisinor be brought before a court to determine whether the gov has the right to continue detaining them
- People have the right to know what they are being accused with
Writ of certiarari*
- Request for the court to order up the records from a lower court to review a case
- Big court reviewing a small court action
Strict constructionist/judicial restraint
People who interpret const how the Framers wrote it
Loose constructionist? Juducial activist
Read const and interpret it how they feel
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview