AP GOV 8.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- tags "Political party quiz"
- description ""
- fileName "AP GOV 8"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- Political party
- Organization of ppl whose purpose is to win elections and control both govt positions and policy
Functions of parties
- Org of ppl with similar political agendas
- organize campaigns
- Promote the ideologies of a candidate
- Unify and win elections
- linking of ppl to govt
- coordination between diff levels and branches of govt
- provision for govt accountability to the ppl
Reasons for 2 party system
Reasons for 2 party system (obstacles)
- Control of ballot access by state laws
- federal campaign finacncing laws
- poor showing in elesctions
- often single issue oriented
Reasons for decrease in the power of political parties
- Govt has taken over many of the functions that were performed by the party a)printing ballots b) social welfare monies c) conducting selections
- direct primaries
- civil service laws
- rise of issue oriented politics
- rise in political consultants
The party in govt
- The congressional party
- presidential party
- parties and the juducuary
- , parties and the state govt
Basic structure of american political parties
- National committees
- national conventions
- , states and localities,
- informal groups
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview