The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- tags "Review over 1&2"
- description ""
- fileName "AP GOV 11"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- Rule by few is commonly referred to as what?
- Aligrachy or aristocracy
What's the significance of the social contract theory?
Man has to give up some rights for a good gov
How did Locke contribute to our system of gov
- Believed in life, liberty, and property
- Helped form the three branches
How did Hobbs contribute to our system of gov?
Thought of the idea that gov needed consent to govern
What is stamp act congress?
Colonists were getting fed up with taxes
Continental congress 1
Congress in 1774 of the 13 colonies that would be USA
Continental congress 2
Petitioned the declaration of independence of rights and grievances to King George
Who drafted the constitution?
Why did the articles of confederation fail?
- No power to tax
- No law enforcement
- Can't regulate commerce
- No executive branch
- No court system
- Amendments called for all state ratification
What was the significance of shay's rebellion?
- Helped our gov realize that we needed a strong national gov
- A constitution was needed
What was the purpose of the constitution?
Establish a reliable source of gov
What's the viginia plan
States are reped by population
What's the New Jersey Plan?
States are rep by an equal amount of representatives
What was the Great compromise?
Formed senate and HOR
What was the 3/5 compromise?
Slaves counted as 3/5th of a person
What was the commerce compromise?
- Imports will be taxed
- Exports won't be taxed
What was the slave trade compromise?
Slave states are allowed a large limit of amount of slaves
How may juducual interpretation change the const?
If the justices find something unconstitutional that can amend it
What was Federalist papers #10?
What was Federalist papers # 39
explained how there would be a strong national gov while still giving power to states
What was Federalist papers # 45
Explained how the president would not be a king
What was Federalist papers # 51
Explains separation of powers
What's a unitary gov?
Gov where local and regional govs determine all authority from a national gov
How did supremacy clause fiction some of the problems under the articles?
- National gov became stronger
- National give can overrule the state gov laws
How did the New Deal change the nature of federalism?
- Initiated dual federalism
- Which made state and national gov separate but equal levels of gov
How did the federal gov use grants to help end social problems in america?
- Nat gov would tell the states what to do and provides money
- In the civil rights movement the national gov gave money to the southern states if they stopped segregation
- This created creative federalism where the national gov determined what the states needed
What problem developed with the use of grants?
The southern states could use that money for whatever they wanted
What is the era?
- Equal rights amendment.
- Advocates for the end of gender bias
What were some specific outcome of the ERA of 1964
- National gov could end segregation
- A public place was anywhere that received federal funding
- Created equal employment commission
- no funding would go to segregated schools
What is title 7?
Ended discrimination by covered employers