Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the three methods of moving water?
- Direct pumping
- Gravity system
- Combination system
Where is the water treatment plant in Hamilton located?
East end of the City on Woodward Ave.
What are the three components of a water distribution grid system?
- Primary feeders
- Secondary feeders
How close do hydrants have to be in residential areas and high value commercial/industrial areas?
150 m in residential, 90 m in commercial/industrial
What is a dead end hydrant?
A hydrant fed from only one direction
What do you call a hydrant fed from two or more directions?
A looped line or circulating feed hydrant
What are some considerations for dead-end hydrants?
- Know where they are
- Consider using a different main at a working fire
- Laying lines from more distant hydrants known to have adequate water supply
- Relay pumping to secure an adequate water supply
- Allow water to flow prior to hooking up to remove debris
What are the two types of valve?
Indicating and nonindicating
What are the two types of indicating valves?
- Post indicating valves (PIV)
- Outside screw and yoke (OS&Y)
What are the two types of hydrants?
What are the 5 types of pressure dealing with water?
Static, normal operating, residual, flow, and elevation.
Describe static pressure
The pressure in a system when the water is not moving
Describe normal operating pressure
The pressure in the system during a period of normal consumption
Describe residual pressure
The pressure that remains in a system when water is flowing
Describe flow pressure
The quantity of water flowing through an opening during a hydrant test (Pitot gauge)
Describe elevation pressure
The amount of pressure created by gravity, also known as head pressure
List the 4 hydrant classes, their bonnet colours, and the flow rates used in the City of Hamilton
- AA - Light blue - 5675 L/minute or more
- A - Green - 3780 to 5675 L/minute
- B - Orange - 1900 to 3780 L/minute
- C - Red - 1900 L/minute or less
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview