Histology #2- Tissues cont
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How does skin work/ what are its functions?
- Barrier: waterproof, microbial invasion, mechanical abrasion, UV irradiation
- tactile sensation
- excretion (salts)
- nutrition (vitamin D)
- absorption (amphibians)
What is the basic organization of the integument
- Layers: epidermis, dermis, hypodermis (subcutis)
- Epidermis: cornification (hardening and waterproofing), tight junctions (a type of epithelium)
- tethered to deeper layers (loose-->tight)
- blood and nerve?
- glands and appendages- epithelium extends into deeper layers
What are appendages included in the integument?
- Glands- sweat, sebaceous and anal, uropygial
- Hair/fur- follicle (invagination of epidermis, hair bulb/root)
- nail, claw, hoof
- horn, beak
T or F- epidermis is a type of epithelium
what cell type is the epidermis?
- stratified squamous
- *primarily: keratinocyte
- -keratinocytes undergo progressive proliferation and cornifications
- -keratinocytes contain an abundance of cytokeratins- a family of fibrous proteins that polymerize as intermediate filaments
What are the 5 layers of the Epidermis?
- S. Corneum
- S. Lucidum
- S. Granulosum
- S. Spinosum
- S. Basale
and then basement membrane
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview