The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
For IR, what is located 4000-25000 cm-1
How does Mass Spectra work?
gas pushed through waterfall of electrons, causing fragmentation
Looks at carbon-Carbon backbone
What does MS measure?
- molecular weight
- charge to mass ratio measured
What is the Base Peak in MS
- Tallest peak (100 %)
- most stable peak
What is the parent peak/Molecular ion M+ ?
Peak representing unfragmented radical cation.
On far right-ignoring blip
gives molecular weight
Where is C=O on IR
C-H alkyne bond
name hydrocarbon aromatic molecules
- ie bromobenzene C6H5Br
- C6H5 CH2CH2CH3=propylbenzene
Name aromatic ring as substituent
name aromatic ring+CH2 as substituent
adjacent/seperated by 1 C/opposite(sep. by 2C)
Heat of hydrogenation
- more energy=less stable
- H2 w/ C=C is 118kJ/mol
how prove benzene more stable with hydrogenation
- benzene (206) vs 3 dbl bond (356)
- benzene has 150 more stability
planar, 120, each C is sp2, conjugated
- 4n+2 pi electrons means aromatic stability
- benzene:4+2=6 b/c 3 dbl bonds=6 pi
4n pi electrons
N in place of one C of benzene
- number longest chain
- start where OH will be lowest number
- list substituents in alphabetical order
- replace "e" at end with ol
- OH attached to benzene ring
- name substituents on ring based upon position from OH
- use "phenol" instead of "benzene"
- benzyl alcohol=phenymethanol
alcohol and phenol properties
- sp3 hybridized
- higher boiling point than similar alkanes/ alkyl halides
- weakly basic/acidic
- protonated by strong acid to yield oxonium ion