Biology ch. 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the goals of science?
To observe and learn about the natural world.
What is science?
Learning about the natural world.
act of noticing and describing events or processes in a careful, orderly way
- 1. observing and asking questions
- 2. making inferences and forming hypothesis
- 3. conducting controlled experiments
- 4. collecting and analyzing data
- 5. drawing conclusions
logical interpretation based on what scientists already know
scientific explanation for a set of observations that can be tested in ways that support or reject it
all variables should be kept unchanged or controlled
variable that is deliberately changed
variable that is observed and that changes in response to the independent variable
exposed to the same conditions as the experimental group except for one independent variable
- detailed records of experimental observations
- gathering info
- open mindedness
publishing peer reviewed articles in scientific journals allow researchers to share new ideas and test and evaluate each others work.
well-tested explanation that unifies broad range of observations and hypotheses that enables scientists to make accurate predictions about new situations
Particular preference or point of view that is personal, rather than scientific
- Made up of basic units called cells
- are based on a universal genetic code,
- obtain and use materials and energy,
- grow and develop,
- respond to their environment,
- maintain a stable internal environment,
- and change over time
Signal two it's an organism responds
Cells from two parents unite to form the first south of the new organism
A single organism produces offspring identical to itself
Organisms expend energy to keep conditions inside their cells with in certain limits
The combination of chemical reactions in which an organism builds up for break down materials
Big ideas in biology
- Cellular basis of life
- Information and heredity
- Matter and energy
- Growth, development, and reproduction
- Structure and function
- Unity and diversity of life
- Interdependence in nature
- Science as a way of knowing
All forms of life on earth are connected into the "living planet "
Metric system when collecting data and performing experiments
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview